Want to save money, be safe, and be green this winter? Follow this easy checklist to keep winter at bay:
- Keep flammable materials away from your furnace.
- Make sure your pilot light is burning. If it’s not, follow the directions for relighting it.
- Remove any dust or debris around the furnace and replace the filter when you can.
- Have your furnace professional inspected annually and make sure they lubricate the blower motor with a non-detergent motor oil, remove the flame shield and check the burner for corrosion, and make sure it is venting properly.
- Ensure furnace intakes and outputs are clear of debris.
- Make sure all outdoor faucets are turned off.
- Clean your gutters and your downspouts and check for wear and tear on the roof.
- Get a programmable thermostat and set it according to the recommendations from ENERGY STAR.
- Make sure heat registers are not blocked by moving rugs, furniture, etc.
- Vacuum out dust in the registers.
- Make sure your fire extinguisher is in good working order and is fully charged.
- Inspect windows and doors for drafts and install window stripping when necessary. Add insulation to your attic walls, if need be.
- Check your fireplace for creosote build-up and call in a chimney sweep to make sure your fireplace is safe.
(Visited 48 times, 1 visits today)